Monday, June 9, 2008

That's the Night the Lights Went Out......

So, last Thursday we were expecting SEVERE storms. So, "dangerous" they were comparing what we were about to get to the storms here in 1973 that produced tornadoes. If you know me, you know that I am deathly afraid of storms and, more importantly, tornadoes. I developed this fear when Scott and I lived in our mobile home years ago and anytime it rained it sounded, well, like rain hitting a metal roof....you get the picture. I won't even go into what hail sounded like. So, I got my storm strategy in action...1. Build a dam in the basement to prevent more flooding and prepare the spot in which we'd get on our knees and cover our heads...check, 2. Pack all my "valuables" in my purse, along with the flashlight, 2 candles and lighters (big purse!)....check and 3. Keep my eyes glued to the weather reporter (whose voice was shaking - doesn't help)....check.
We ate a quick dinner and waited out the disaster, ignoring all the other things I had wanted to get done that evening. When the storm "hit" it was all of 60 seconds of sideways rain and that was it. Yep, BIG STORM! However, apparently, the winds took out our power so for about an hour and a half we were in the dark. We decided to go hang out on our enclosed porch, which we never use, but turned out to be quite the entertaining spot.











Darby entertained us with some dancing....











And, just when we were trying to figure out sleeping arrangements for the night (I can't wait until our kids outgrow the "fear of the dark" stage)......











The lights came back on!











It actually turned out to be a fun evening! And, I did not die of a heart attack, anxiety attack, or any other attack resulting from my irrational fears. Chalk that one up as a good day!

0 comments: