Monday, February 25, 2008

I'd Like to See a Study on How the 7 Year Old Brain Works

As I was telling my mom this story this morning, she said "Why do I get the feeling this is turning into a blog post?" She's right, it's too funny not to share....
We had to have a serious conversation with Darby last night over dinner. A lot of valid points were raised during our discussion but, I really feel like the matter is settled as of now.
Darby informed us that she wants to join the circus. (We got 3 free tickets last week and so I sent Scott and the kids for some Daddy-bonding time.) Apparently, the allure of the circus was just too much for Darby and she has found her calling. We educated her on all of the pitfalls of joining the circus; lots of road travel, no school, always practicing and performing, you know - the specifics. She told us that she's okay with all of that. She can jump off of things "real good" and besides, she WOULD look "really cute in those outfits." I thought we may be fighting a no-win situation and we'd have to send our daughter off to join the circus. Hey, don't they get paid for that? We COULD use the extra income.
Anyhow, we knew our logical explanations started to sink in when she asked me about going to the bathroom while traveling, you know, would they stop if she needed to go? I told her that probably they would have scheduled bathroom breaks and she would only be able to go when they stopped at those times. She didn't really like the idea of that so much. So, we made a mutual decision that since she's 7 - Mom and Dad would make all of the life-altering decisions for her and that once she's an adult we'll revisit the issue and she can make a decision at that point. I can't wait to revisit this issue like, say, when she's 20 and sitting here with her boyfriend.

2 comments:

The Shove Household said...

I am glad that your family enjoyed the circus... Our trip was not as exciting. When I woke Olivet up this morning she looked right at me a the first thing she said was "mom, clowns are kind of scary..." I wonder what she drempt about???

The Martins said...

Haha! Aidan used to be like that! This is the first year he actually hugged a clown instead of freakishly running away crying! Come to think of it, clowns still weird me out a little bit, too. :)