Friday, February 1, 2008

Teenage Angst

Aidan and I went to McDonalds today for lunch. He's totally obsessed with their "fishburgers" (filet-o-fish) and they advertise the heck out of them during lent season. So, I rewarded him for his great behavior this morning while I was super busy trying to get things done.
School must have been out for one of the districts because the place was FULL of kids from Aidan's age to high school. While we were eating I noticed these 3 teenage girls talking SERIOUSLY around a small table - and I mean SERIOUSLY. I watched them (to keep my vision averted from my 5 year old horking down seafood between a bun slathered in tartar sauce - blech!!) The girls were obviously dealing with something MAJOR! and I was hit with memories of MY high school years and all of the "drama" that seemed to be happening everyday. Isn't it amazing the difference in what's important - what hurts - what the BIG DEAL is when you're 16-17 as opposed to 29 and 50? I imagined that they must have been dealing with some boy or some gossip or some parents - yuck - and I thought "Man, it must be nice to have THOSE issues!" But, when you really think about it, it's just as hurtful, just as important, and just as big of a deal at that time. The only thing that changes is the scenery! So, we finished our "meal" and left and I said a small prayer for those girls that whatever they're dealing with (I hope it's just their parents, just a boy, or just some gossip) they'll get over it quickly, because once they ARE the parents, married to the boy, and STILL dealing with gossip (all the while trying to pay bills and keep a house clean)? Oh, man, it doesn't get much better! :)
Please keep Darby in your prayers right now. We have an appointment at Children's Mercy Hospital in KC on March 10th to check her out. In the middle of all of this we're trying to decide if our neurologist here in Topeka is really a good fit for her and for us or if we should look into the neurology team over at Children's Mercy. Right now, she's great and active and mostly happy (except for when Aidan's in her room). And, we can't ask for much more than that!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad to be the mom these days!!!!!! I remember some of our serious talks and they were serious!!