Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pennies From Heaven.....

Most of you know that when I was 15 one of my very dear friends, Bridget, was killed in a car wreck. I miss her terribly and mostly whenever my kids do something really funny because I know how much she would have appreciated such antics. I've regaled many a story about our crazy days running around with Bridget (of course with some discretion!!) to Darby and Aidan and they love to ask questions about her. Darby has asked to go to her gravesite several times over the last year and I've debated about her maturity and whether she could handle and understand the meaning of visiting there. Yesterday, after the zoo, I really felt in my heart that it would be a good time to take them there, since it's right next door. We got out of the van and went to the headstone while I explained (as simply as I could) the process of burial and that your body is there but your spirit/soul is not. Darby gets it. Aidan - not so much.
Some of you are aware of the penny thing. (Everytime we visit the grave - we leave a penny.) Anne D., you'll have to remind me exactly why we do this. In my old age I've forgotten. That's really sad.
I grabbed 3 pennies and handed them out. We each placed a penny on the headstone and talked about the importance of driving safely and wearing our seatbelts and following the law. I got really emotional and started to cry. I don't really know why - maybe because of all of the lost opportunities for my kids to have gotten to know her. I don't know. Anyway, Darby looked at me and said she had another penny in her pocket that she was saving for her bank, could she please put that one on the headstone as well. (If you know Darby and money - this is a HUGE shocker!!) I told her that was fine and that I appreciated her thoughtfulness.
We trekked back to the van and when I opened Darby's door she gasped - there on her seat was a bright, shiny new penny waiting for her! She was so thrilled. She said "Mom, do you think Bridget the Angel left it for me?" I told her "Darby, I think God gave it to you as a reward for your heartfelt gesture and the thoughtfulness that you showed today!" Which prompted a discussion about HOW God could have left it there. Darby decided God made the whole world and trees so He could probably do just about anything. Aidan decided that God is always there - and as he says "looking at you" (you think I've used this phrase as creative correction!?!?)
However it happened, I know one thing, my children just witnessed the first of many miracles and blessings of a Father who loves us SO much! As a mother - I think I have a fairly good handle on how that feels!

1 comments:

Keri said...

MY mother leaves me pennies all the time. She must think of me at very weird moments.

I'm glad you got to visit the zoo and really enjoy the animals. There are quite a few there that we don't ever hear about. (by animals, I don't know if I am meaning the kind with four legs or two).

I know you miss Briget. She has left an awesome legacy by the lessons she will teach your children.

Love, mom