Thursday, December 13, 2007

Is This Day Over?

So, today actually went downhill.....really, really fast! When I got to the hospital this morning, I knew something was up because my dad was having a lot of trouble with his heart rate and blood oxygen levels. The nurses weren't TOO frazzled, but you could tell they were bustling. Amidst all of this my cell phone rang. Scott called me to tell me he was on his way to the school. Darby had a seizure and went unconscious (sp?) and fell and hit her head. They said she had regained consciousness and was doing okay. So, I gave him all of the important numbers (pediatrician, neurologist) and told him I would wait to hear from him once he actually SAW her. (Lord knows the interstate does NOT need a completely frazzled me traveling down it!) The pediatrician said to take her home and keep an eye on her and call the neurologist, so that's what he did. I'm really blessed to have his calmness, because I was totally freaking out! Once I turned back into "the one in control of herself" I hopped in the mini-van and headed home. It felt SO good just to touch her! The nurse from Dr. Katz's office (our neurologist) said there wasn't much we could do. She's a diagnosed epileptic so the next step is for the doctor to decide if he wants to see her or put her on anti-seizure medication (which I've been totally against, and he's supported it - the side effects can be worse than the seizures.) It's now 7:05 p.m. and we haven't heard from him.....of course, it takes on average 6 months to get into him normally, so I'm thinking it will be next week before we know anything.
Okay, so I'm home at this point and snuggling her on the couch and my stepmom calls to tell me that they moved my dad to ICU. They thought he was having a heart attack and may be septic. Talk about being torn.........I checked back with Dr. Katz's nurse and she okayed Darby traveling (she would be at a hospital after all.) So, we packed back up and headed back down there. The surgeon and cardiologist determined it wasn't a heart attack after all, but there is some seriousness with an infection, so they're following a sepsis protocol. He should be out of ICU sometime tomorrow. Thank God.
I think I'll shut my brain off and take a hot bath and wait for tomorrow! :)

0 comments: