Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye 2007

Can you believe it's the last day of this year? My, has it flown by! We've had a lot of changes in our house this year and it's amazing to think about how at the time they seemed so huge. But, now, they are just things of the past.
Christmas came and went with the grand flourish that it is. The kids had a great time (of course.) Lots of traveling over the river and through the snow. It's been awhile since we've actually had white on the ground during Christmas. And I appreciated it for those couple of days. But, now I wish it would just melt away.
Miss Darby acquired a new American Girl doll. (Big surprise, I'm sure.) The way American Girl works is to infiltrate your entire existence. Their catalog comes 4 times a month, I swear. And, they were on Oprah about a month ago. So, that's all we've heard about. It doesn't help that they have a million dolls to choose from and so the list for a need for each one never ends. Julie - the 1970's-era girl came to live with us. She's actually my favorite one - which made it easy for Santa to ponder the idea about bringing her home. The next one on the list is Mia - the girl for 2008. Darby has it all planned out. She's going to save, save, save every penny she gets so that when we go to the new store in Dallas in March she can get her. I have a feeling I'll have to save, save, save as well for this trip. I doubt that when she walks into that store she'll only be able to walk out with a doll. We'll see.
Aidan crossed the bridge into a video system playing kind of kid. Which I swore would never happen, I have to tell you. But, he enjoys it and we actually limit his time playing and most of the time he plays with at least one of us. I just don't want him glued to a control with his face never to leave the screen again.
Thursday I called the new podiatrist to see if there was anything he could do until my surgery in January for my foot. It had gotten to the point where no shoe and/or being shoeless had become quite uncomfortable. They called me back Thursday afternoon and said that they could actually reschedule the surgery for Friday morning. After a quick assessment of our schedule and recruiting grandmas to watch the kiddos....we plowed through the newly fallen 4 inches of snow bright and early Friday morning and got it done and over with. If you ever have laser surgery while awake, I suggest you wear nose plugs. I won't go into details. Just trust me on this one. I have no heel left. I guess that's the point, to just wipe it all clean and get rid of the virus, but it's still disgusting to look at. So, I don't. I'm just glad to have it done and start the healing process. He said that it takes the normal skin cycle process (28 days) to heal enough to walk on, so 25 more to go! Pray that it goes quickly. I don't do well being incapacitated and watching my house move along without me. There are dishes to be done and laundry to be washed. Darby has been a HUGE help. Of course, I'm going to have to retrain her after this period of helplessness that when I call her name it WON'T mean that I need something. It's like an automatic response now, I get the semi-willing face. It's kind of cute actually. She reminds me a lot of me. :)
I hope everyone has had a great 2007 and looks forward to an even better 2008!

0 comments: